Thursday, July 23, 2009

Out of My Head

Ever since I was a little girl, I've always had a love affair with dancing. It's been a very long time since I've danced, but there's still something about the way I feel when I even just watch other people dance that I can't quite put into words.

Tonight after I put Anna to bed, I watched tonight's episode of So You Think You Can Dance on my trusty DVR. Tyce DiOrio's contemporary piece to "This Woman's Work" was easily the standout of the evening. It's about a woman fighting breast cancer and the friend that helps her through her struggle, and it was so incredibly moving. Everyone on the panel was in tears, and I have no doubt that most people at home were too. I was.

The only disappointment for me tonight was seeing Mia Michaels on the panel. Not because I don't like what she has to say, because I do. But if Mia Michaels is on the panel, that means that none of her choreography will be in the episode, and no choreographer is able to move me quite like Mia Michaels. This woman could literally come up with a way to choreograph picking your toes that would no doubt be nothing less than riveting. I am convinced.

No matter how hard I try, I just cannot get Mia's piece from two weeks ago to "Gravity" by Sara Bareilles out of my head! It's about addiction, and it was just so unbelievably, beautifully, perfectly emotional and haunting that I just can't stop thinking about it. So I found it online so that I could watch it again (and again and again), and now it's here for you to watch too. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.





Then, if you're a contemporary junkie like I am and like dancing that makes you feel something, check out this piece from last week that Travis Wall choreographed to "If It Kills Me" by Jason Mraz. It's lovely, and not as heavy as the other two, so a good note to end on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

I'm a mother, a wife, and a business systems analyst for a major technology company. Some days I'm good at all three, some days I suck at them all. Between diapers, laundry and late night conference calls, it's all just part of the fun of being a working mom. This blog will share some of my thoughts and adventures in sleep-deprivation. Enjoy, and please do leave comments so I'll know you were here!

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP